Whether you are switching to vaping from quitting smoking nicotine or starting vaping as a beginner, learning how to vape can seem like a daunting process. Vaping is a term that refers to the use of e-liquids in any vaping device like e-cigarettes or box-mods. It is the most suitable and safe alternative to smoking. Now vaping can be both easy and complicated depending on the vaper. So, whether you are switching, a beginner or looking for a unique vaping experience, this is your guide to vaping. We will be discussing various aspects of vaping to ensure the best vaping experience possible.
How to vape: 15 Basic Terms You Should Know
- Vaping – using an electronic cigarette but of course with vapor and not smoke.
- Electronic cigarette – a device that vaporizes e-liquid into a vapor that is then inhaled. There are three main parts to an e-cigarette.
- Battery – most often a rechargeable battery, sometimes a disposable
- Atomizer – the metal coil element to vaporize e-liquid. There are various types of atomizer available.
- E-Liquid – a solution that may or may not contain nicotine that is vaporized and inhaled
- E-liquid – also called e-juice or vape juice. Made up of VG and or PG, flavor, and usually nicotine.
- VG – vegetable glycerin. A food grade additive. Usually made from palm, coconut or soy oils. Also used in cosmetics, soaps, and some foods.
- PG – propylene glycol. A food grade additive found in everything from food to medications to toothpaste.
- Atty – short for the atomizer
- 18650s – the most common e-cig batteries used in most box mods and tube mods.
- Cloud chasing/chucking – trying to vape as much vapor as possible.
- Coils – also called coil heads. Most often an interchangeable, replaceable part that contains the atomizer coil and wicking. The term ‘coil’ comes from the fact that the metallic atomizer element is usually wrapped in the shape of a coil.
- Vape Tank – a device that contains vape juice and a coil.
- Regulated Mod – a vaping device that controls or regulates the power output.
- Mech mod – mechanical mod or unregulated mod. A vape device that allows raw power to go from the battery to the atomizer without constraints or safety measures.
- Box Mods – a mod shaped like a box. Designed to contain anywhere from one to four e-cig batteries.
- Tube Mod – a mod shaped like a tube. Usually comes with a built-in battery or will contain one or two external batteries.
How to vape: The way a vape works
All vapes work on the same premise: a battery source (vape mod) powers a heating element (coil) that vaporizes e-juice in a small chamber (atomizer). The user then inhales the vapor through a small mouthpiece.
A vape works as a complete system. No single component is the vape, it’s what you have when it all comes together. Many experienced users shop a la carte for mixing and matching vape parts. But, beginners are advised to stick to pre-packaged kits with everything included to ensure appropriate compatibility.
How to vape: Vaping-equipment
Before we can start vaping, we need to know about the pieces of equipment used for vaping. It is very important to know about the types of equipment to ensure the best experience. Your knowledge will define whether your vaping experience will be good or bad. That is why we are trying to make this article as a beginner’s guide to vaping equipment. Now there are a good number of devices available. The types of equipment needed for vaping is described below:
The Cigalike: These are the most basic type vape-kit available. This device looks exactly like a real-life tobacco cigarette. But in reality, they are tiny vape-kits called e-cigarette that contain a small amount of pre-filled e-juice and a small coil contained in a very small cartridge called as ‘catomizer’. They are powered by a very small vape battery pack. They look like a tobacco cigarette, feel like a cigarette and even puff like a real tobacco cigarette. Normally they don’t have any fire button and activated by taking a drag.
The vape pen: The vape pen is the next generation of the cigalikes. It is another type of e-cigarette that has many similarities to the cigalike, but it is bigger in size and packs more power than the cigalikes. The vape pen also has a bigger battery backup than the cigalike. Though their vape tanks are pre-filled, it is possible to fill them with different types of e-liquids.
The pod-mod: These are the latest iteration of the cigalikes. They have all the property of a vape-pen, but they are very small and lightweight. The vape pen utilizes pod-like containers for the e-liquids.
The starter kit: This is the latest and most popular form of vape kit available today. The starter kit is the best solution available for the vapers around the world and an excellent choice for the beginners. The best chance at success is to keep it simple with the device you buy. Simple vapes are in no way inferior to advanced devices, they’re just easier to use.
Get a basic vape starter kit. No matter the look, they all make vapor in the same way. These devices range in price from about $20 to about $60. There are four major categories for these kinds of vape kits for you to choose from.
- Pod vapes: Pod systems are offered in both prefilled or refillable; disposable cartridges
- AIOs: refillable; replaceable coil
- E-cigarettes: prefilled or refillable; disposable cartridges
- Disposable e-cigarettes: prefilled; the entire device is disposable
The E-Juice: If you are using a starter kit or your device is not pre-filled you will need one last thing. The last thing you will need is the e-juice. It is the fuel for the vaping kit. These are also known as vape juice or vg e- liquids. It comes in many flavors and sizes. In addition to endless flavors and sizes, it comes with different nicotine content strengths for the classic nicotine flavor vapers. Those who want a vape without nicotine there are many e-juices are available for you also.
The power source: The vape mod is a battery device, normally using lithium-ion batteries. These devices can come in many forms and sizes. They’re named accordingly, like box mods, vape pens, tube mods, to small designs called pod vapes and e-cigarettes. The term “mod” is a nod to the early days of vaping when users modified devices for more power.
Nowadays, vape mods have a broad range in electronic features and power limits. Some are more advanced and can be adjustable in watts (variable wattage mod quitting smoking) or even controlled in temperature (temperature control mods); others have no adjustability and require no technological understanding from the user.
The levels of power in a vape mod generally dictate the ease of use, as well as the experience required to safely operate them.
Low power: pod vapes, vape pens, e-cigarettes, AIOs (all-in-ones)
- No experience required
- Small rechargeable battery (unless it’s a disposable e-cig)
- Normally without adjustable power
- Concealable; ultra-portable
Medium power: AIOs (all-in-ones), tube mods, box mods
- Some experience required
- Battery safety knowledge recommended
- Medium size rechargeable battery built-in or replaceable
- Often with adjustable power (up to 100 watts)
- Pocketable (though rarely concealable)
High power: box mods, mechanical mods
- Experience is a must
- Multiple replaceable batteries (rarely built-in)
- Requires battery safety knowledge
- Pocketable (but heavy and bulky)
- Normally with adjustable power (up to 200+ watts)
The replaceable batteries in vapes most frequently used in vape mods are 18650, 20700, 21700 sizes. These cells are much more powerful than your average remote controller batteries and require a firm understanding of battery safety. That’s why, it is strongly advised that new users purchase devices with built-in, non-removable batteries that can be charged directly in the device from a USB port.
How to vape: Types of vaping
Before start vaping a person need to know about the types of vaping. This article will be the guide to vaping for the beginners and all. There are many types of vaping available, but they are divided into two types based on the inhale method. These two types are:
- DL (Direct Lungs) method
- MTL (Mouth To Lungs) method
These two types are described here:
DL (Direct Lungs) method: This is a one-step process. In this process, the vapor is inhaled directly into the lungs of the user. This method is exactly like the technique used for smoking a water-pipe or hookah. This process generally requires a lower wattage and smaller airflow setting.
MTL (Mouth to Lungs) method: This is a two-step process. This process is a direct mimic of the inhaling of a classic cigarette. The vapor is initially taken into the mouth of the user and then it is inhaled into the lungs from there. This process typically requires a higher wattage and a bigger airflow.
How to vape: Standard Vaping With A Mod And Refillable Vape Tank
Standard vaping with a mod and refillable tank involves a larger capacity battery and a refillable tank that can contain more e-liquid than an e-cig refill cartridge. The atomizer resistance is over 1.0 ohms and the vaping style is mouth to the lung. You will be using an e-liquid that is at least 50% PG. The typical e-liquid for standard vaping is either 50/50 PG/VG or 70/30 PG/VG. The nicotine level range is from 6 mg to 24 mg on average. High VG vape juice blends are not appropriate for standard vaping.
There are four separate things you will need for standard vaping with a mod and tank:
1. A mod – can be a tube style or box. Can have a built-in or external battery. Often will be a variable voltage or variable wattage mod. The power range for standard vaping is generally 3.2 volts to 4.8 volts with 4.2 being the sweet spot. In wattage, the power range can be from 8 watts to 14 watts with 10 W to 12 W being the typical sweet spot.
2. Vape tank – a vape tank may or may not have adjustable airflow. You manually fill the tank with e-liquid.
3. Atomizer coil – the atomizer coil will have a resistance over 1.0 ohms. A common standard vaping coil resistance is 1.8 ohms. The coil is the part that you will replace every 10 days to three weeks depending on how much you vape.
4. E-liquid – you will have a separate bottle of e-liquid that you will use to refill the tank. E-liquid bottles typically have a needle or dropper tip so it is easy to fill a tank. You will be using an e-liquid that is at least 50% to 70% PG with a nicotine level usually from 6 mg to 24 mg.
How To Vape: With A Standard Mod And Tank
- Fully charge your mod battery
- Unscrew the base of your tank and insert a fresh atomizer coil
- Use only the coils designed to work with your tank
- Fill the tank with e-liquid and assemble your tank
- Connect the vape tank to the mod
- Wait at least five minutes to allow the wick in the coil to become saturated with your e-liquid
- If you are using a variable voltage/wattage mod, set the power to 3.2 volts or 8 watts
- Take a small puff
- If you have adjustable airflow on your tank, adjust the airflow to suit your preference
- Continue vaping and gradually increase the power setting to suit your preference
- Try not to exceed 4.8 volts
- Enjoy the cloud of vapor
How to vape: Sub Ohm Vaping
Sub ohm vaping is using an electronic cigarette device and an atomizer with a resistance of less than 1.0 ohms. The lower resistance draws more power from the battery increasing the amount of vapor produced. That is the intent of sub ohm vaping. To produce more vapor. Instead of vaping MTL, with sub ohm vaping you inhale the vapor directly into the lungs. This is called DL or direct lung.
With a sub ohm style, you will be using an e-liquid that has more VG than PG. The nicotine levels used from sub ohm vaping range from 1.5 mg to 6 mg. There will be a lot more vapor so you will not need as much nicotine. You need to have an appropriate tank with a glass or Pyrex glass construction.
How To Vape: With A Sub Ohm Vape Mod And Tank
- Fully charge your mod batteries, they can be internal or external batteries
- Unthread the base of your vape tank
- Look at your atomizer coil and note the appropriate wattage range to vape at
- Insert the coil into the base of the tank
- You will be able to see the cotton through the e-juice ports on the coil
- “Prime” your coil by placing a few drops of e-liquid into the e-juice ports on the coil
- Fill the vape tank with e-liquid being careful not to overfill
- Connect the base to the tank making sure not to overtighten
- If you have a top-fill tank, assemble the tank first and then fill
- Wait at least five minutes for the coils to saturate
- Start vaping at the lowest recommended power setting
- Gradually increase wattage and adjust airflow to suit your taste
How to vape: Temperature Control Vaping
Temperature control vaping is also a DL style of vaping using sub ohm atomizer resistances. The difference between sub ohm and temp control is that with temperature control, or TC, you set the vaporization temperature. Instead of setting your mod at 80 watts, you might set the coil temperature to 400 F. That way the mod will draw whatever power is necessary to reach 400 F. TC vaping requires that your atomizer coils be compatible. Examples of TC capable coil wire include nickel, titanium, and stainless steel.
The steps for how to vape with a temperature control mod are the same steps that apply to sub ohm vaping. Start out at a lower vape temperature like 325 F or 100 C. Gradually increase until you find your sweet spot.
How to Vape: Cleaning and maintenance
It is very important to make sure the vape-kit is cleaned after use, especially the mouthpiece. You can use an ultrasonic cleaner for this purpose, but a warm water rinse also works just fine. Be sure to remove the coil head before cleaning the device. After cleaning you can put it back or replace it with a new one based on its condition. Before washing, take apart all the parts and after washing them put them back together. To clean your vape tanks, if possible, unscrew it first and make sure no water gets to the battery.
How to Vape: Choosing the right nicotine levels
If you don’t know what specific nicotine level is right for you, determine for yourself which bracket you think you’ll appreciate more. Are you a heavy, light, or recreational smoker? Extra high levels of nicotine (often sold as nicotine salt vape juice) can be felt fastest and can be a more intense experience. Lower nicotine takes a bit longer to feel and is normally a less intense experience.
If you smoked more than a pack a day, chances are that you’ll need a nicotine strength of at least 18mg to start off. Many need to start out at 24mg to get the right amount of nicotine, sure, but we suggest starting low nicotine to see how your body reacts. Pack-a-day smokers will likely need either 12 or 18mg in the beginning. Those who have stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes, this is also applicable to them.
Some important tips about vaping
When you vape, make sure to keep these vaping tips in mind. This will make your vaping experience more enjoyable. These are just some basic tricks; they are given below:
- There is a type of device packaging called AIO (All in One) available. This packaging contains everything that beginners might need. So, if you are a beginner no matter what vape starter kits you are choosing, make sure to purchase an AIO package.
- When you first take the vape out of the box it will have a fresh coil installed and no vape juice in the tank, so make sure not to press the fire button just for once. If you do that it will destroy the coil head.
- Before doing anything detach the whole vape tank portion from the battery device and make sure the device is off. Then put the vape tank back on and fill it. This will ensure that you don’t accidentally send power to the dry coil.
- When you are cleaning a device make sure to detach its coil head before washing.
- When your vaporizer has reached the desired temperature wait for an additional 15-30 seconds. This will cause you to get better draws.
- You will have a USB charger with the kit. Make sure to charge the device, if you take it while going out.
There are some safety concerns regarding toxicity and harm of the vape-kit. But a detailed study has shown that the effect of vaping is safer than smoking tobacco cigarette or smoking nicotine.
After the discussions above, you know how to vape properly. Though there is a chance that you will not get the designated results you expected on the first time. But don’t feel bad about it. Vaping is a sophisticated work and it takes time and patience to be good at this. Keep up the trying and one day you will get what you are looking for.
Order now on VaporZumo and get your Vaping Experience started today!